Book Review Program
Sponsored by PM World Inc. and the PM World Journal
The PMI Silver Spring Chapter’s project management book review program was launched in October 2017. Here is how it works.
- PM World is notified by authors and publishers of new project management books available;
- Books for review will be delivered to the PMI Silver Spring Chapter book review coordinator;
- The books will be offered to current PMI chapter members in exchange for a commitment to read the book and prepare a review in a standard format
- The reviewer must prepare a book review within 45 days and send the review in MS word format to the editor at PM World Journal
- The book review is formatted for publication and returned to the reviewer for final approval;
- Approved book reviews are published in the PM World Journal at www.pmworldjournal.net.
Examples of book reviews can be found at https://pmworldlibrary.net/book-reviews/
Click the Booklist graphic below to see the list of books available for review
Benefits to Reviewer
- Free book to keep for your personal library after having submitted a review. The book must be returned if you acnnot complete the review.
- UP to 10 PDUs, based on one PDU per hour for reading the book and preparing the review – for information about claiming PDUs, click here.
- Worldwide visibility in PM World Journal when book review is published;
- Additional visibility when profile and review are archived in PM World Library at www.pmworldlibrary.net.
Benefits to PMI Chapter
- Service to chapter members by providing free books and a way to earn PDUs at no cost
- Goodwill from chapter members who receive the free books and PDUs
- Chapter visibility when the book reviews are published
Benefits to PM World
- Good content for the monthly PM World Journal
- Positive relations with authors and publishers of the books, who like the publicity when positive book reviews are published
- Positive visibility within the PMI Chapter, and more readers for the PM World Journal
What is Expected of Reviewers
- Book review in standard MS Word format (template provided), along with reviewer’s background summary and photo (reviewer background and photo required for publication and to claim PDUs)
- Timely submittal of book reviews – within 45 days of receipt of book
- Serious, professional review – reviewer receives a free book and PDUs, so professional book review is expected – no one sentence paragraphs. Honest but positive review – after all, it’s a free book!
Note: Book reviews are also provided to publishers and are often read by the authors of the books (authors sometimes contact book reviewers for clarification or to express appreciation.) Book reviews are more than just publicity. Good book reviews capture content, include reviewer’s comments and create new knowledge.
Caution: If you take a book but are unable to complete the review, please return the book. Members who keep a book without completing a review are guilty of an ethics violation. It is also stealing.